Monday, August 18, 2003

Well folks, I'm back. I was supposed to be back earlier but ended up getting diverted from JFK to Logan Airport which set me back a day. Good old blackout. During my flight and my long wait in the security line I had a few thoughts regarding readiness and terrorism; thoughts that Herbert has articulated quite nicely.

The report I was reading when the power failed was issued less than two months ago and was titled, "Emergency Responders: Drastically Underfunded, Dangerously Unprepared."

The report acknowledged that some progress against terrorism has been made through the Department of Homeland Security and other federal, state and local institutions. But it said, "The United States has not reached a sufficient national level of emergency preparedness and remains dangerously unprepared to handle a catastrophic attack on American soil, particularly one involving chemical, biological, radiological, or nuclear agents, or coordinated high-impact conventional means."


It's good to be home.

Today will be light blogging as I am playing catch up at my day job. Many thanks to Ceds, Red Rabbit, and the Professor. Hopefully they will stick around to fill in the gaps.

No comments: