Friday, April 04, 2003

This is exactly what's wrong with the Democrats. They're afraid to close ranks and defend their own.

To his credit, Kerry is fighting back. "I don't need any lessons in patriotism or in caring for America from the likes of Tom DeLay," the decorated Vietnam veteran told a political dinner Thursday night. "If they want to pick a fight, they've picked a fight with the wrong guy." He reminded the audience of the smearing of Cleland. "I watched what they did to Max Cleland last year," Kerry said. "Shame on them for doing it then and shame on them for trying to do it now."

Shame on them is right. And shame on Democrats and the antiwar left if they leave Kerry standing out there by himself.


People who read me will probably recall that I withdrew my own personal support from the Kerry campaign some weeks ago because his views don't jive with my own anti-war stance. So perhaps I'm being a tad disingenous in criticizing Democrats for not defending Kerry's statement. But I'm not going to hang him out to dry when he finally bites back. This is what I originally liked about Kerry. So I'm not going to put up my "Kerry in 2004" stickers back up just yet but good for you Senator for not backing down.

No comments: