Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Tran-fastic Moments With Ann Coulter

I missed Hardball but Pierce over at Altercation piqued my curiosity so I decided to dig up the transcript. David Corn and Ann Coulter are facing off over the Reagan fiasco. I don't remember how they leaped from the Reagan mini-series to Patton but that's how Annie's mind works.

MATTHEWS: You are dead wrong. Everybody loved “Patton” from the first day it came out.
       COULTER: But that isn’t the way it was intended.
       MATTHEWS: I was in the Peace Corps in Africa and everybody over there loved it when we got to see it. From the first day we loved it.
       CORN: How could you not love that movie from the opening scene?
       MATTHEWS: He’s God-like. Ann, where do you get this malarkey from?
       Everybody loved “Patton.” How old were you, when “Patton” came out. How old were you, two?
       COULTER: I think you’re misunderstanding.
       MATTHEWS: No, I think you’re wrong, Ann. I think everybody loved “Patton.”
       COULTER: Can I respond?
       MATTHEWS: Who didn’t like it?
       COULTER: That is precisely my point, because it was made accurately.
       But it was made, the people making it were intending to make Patton look bad.
       MATTHEWS: Who did that?
       COULTER: That is why George C. Scott turned down his Academy Award for playing Patton.
       MATTHEWS: Who told you that? Who told you that?
       COULTER: It’s well known.
       MATTHEWS: It’s well known?
       COULTER: Why do you think he didn’t accept the award?
       CORN: Why did he take the role? Why did he take the role, Ann, if he didn’t want to do it?
       COULTER: Why do you think he turned down the award, Chris? You never looked that up? It never occurred to you? “I wonder why George C. Scott didn’t accept his award.”
       MATTHEWS: Because he said he wasn’t going to a meat parade, because he didn’t believe in award ceremonies because they’re all about women wearing no clothes and showing off their bodies...
       COULTER: By portraying Patton as negatively as possible, but by doing it accurately the American people loved it.
       MATTHEWS: Facts mean nothing to you, Ann.
       CORN: In this movie he shoots down an airplane with a gun.
       MATTHEWS: I’m glad you are not making movies, Ann Coulter. Thank you, David Corn, Andrew Grossman.
       Jesus.


Next time she's on I suggest someone spike her coffee with Thorazine.

No comments: